Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Christmas in July

In exactly five months it will be Christmas. And, while the sweltering heat doesn't bring me any closer to imagining this day, I do have one thing one my mind as I reflect on this time of year. Yep, you guessed it - cookies!

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I love the food, the family, the decorations, the tree and the rituals. What doesn't excite me as much now as it did when I was younger is the gift giving part. I enjoy the giving much more now than the getting -- carefully choosing a thoughtful (yet moderately thrifty) gift. I come from a big family, so shopping for 9+ people just in the immediate family can be quite the chore.  I am not going to think about that today though -- that's still a good four months away.

I want to get back to what I am been dreaming about all day --- cookies. This year the hubs and I will be entertaining the in-laws. This is exciting in the fact that for the first year ever we get to buy a Christmas tree. For other reasons, this will also be a very new and exciting holiday season for us. More on that to come at a later date. Since we'll be hosts for a few weeks, we are going to have to do more than just decorate a Christmas tree and make coffee filter snowflakes. And, baking is the perfect way to fill the time.

The in-laws are from Spain, so I have been thinking about the most traditional Christmas cookies to make. I am open for suggestions (so please leave me some love), but here is my short list of "must-have" sweets:

  • Ginger snaps
  • Festive sugar cookies with colorful icing
  • Pizzelles
  • Gingerbread House
  • Fudge
  • Cocoa cookies with peppermint

No comments:

Post a Comment